My first Himalayan Trek


 Buran Ghati 2019 - A trek that has it all

This is a beautiful trek with breathtaking landscapes, valleys with knee deep snow. The Himalayan ranges are spread across throughout the trail, you will feel like you have entered a fairy tale. It surely fills your heart with enthusiasm and excitement.

Like any other adventure enthusiast, I always wanted to do one Himalayan trek. So, without much thought and research when a friend asked me if I would like join her I immediately said yes. This was my first Himalayan trek. Although a detailed research would have helped me more, but as they say what is meant to be will be

This trek is for experienced trekkers and NOT for beginners :P

This is a 8 days trek from Shimla to Shimla.We reached Delhi from Mumbai had dinner at a restaurant in Delhi, and to my dismay, I forgot my trekking shoes (which I had borrowed from a friend) in the cab. Me and my fellow mates tried really hard to contact the cab driver but all our efforts failed. So, with my disappointment and their hope they asked me to to not worry and we headed to Shimla.

Day 1 :

On reaching Shimla,they have a pickup from Shimla to the base camp @Janglik. The drive from Shimla to Janglik is very peaceful and picturesque. The only option I had was to look around for shops that sold trekking shoes. The Bikat Adventures crew member helped me find two, three shops but none of them had trekking shoes. I had to buy local sports shoes and begin the trek with hope.

Base camp @Janglik

We went for this trek in the month of May to escape the heat of Mumbai city. The weather at Janglik was cool and soothing. The winter sun gives just the perfect temperature to trek.

After spending the first night at the base camp and the trek lead giving us instructions on what to do and what not to do. The next day morning after breakfast we began through the trails. We chose our tent-mates. I picked the girl sitting right next to me as that was easy and she agreed. I didn't know her from before but the eight days with her she was really sweet and helpful and more fit than I was. I had offloaed my trek bag because with those shoes, carrying my bag and myself was not happening.

Day 2 : From Janglik to Dayara

                        

 

 From Janglik we reached our first destination Dayara Bugyal meadows. Well this was one of the best views I have ever seen. As you climb the top of a mountain and with no clue what is on the other side of the slope and as soon as you are on the top and look towards your right, ITS MAGICAL.It cannot be put into words or pictures or videos. It is so healing for your soul.

Dayara camp site 

There was our campsite. Who would not want to wake up to this view. These snow capped mountains would be the first sight on waking up. It was such a jaw dropping backdrop at Dayara meadows. We had a quick cool down session and settled in our respective tents.

Day 3  - We headed to our first snow camp - Litham

The trail was not easy, there were snow patches followed by  rock patches, paths full of stones, river crossing, streams where the water was so fresh we drank the water right away. Staying hydrated throughout the trek was extremely important. There were dense forests and meadows throughout the trail. With each others help and encouragement we all managed to reached the next campsite - Litham.

Advice : Please be very careful and buy proper trek shoes. Although I didn't face any severe issues but it was not easy in sports shoes.


 We reached the campsite in the evening. The pleasure to watch soft snow all around you with the musical stream of water, rippling, burbling and flowing right beside the camp is so heavenly.  We had one acclimatization day here that day we went to Chandranahan Lake and came back.. This is much needed due to temperature change our bodies needed time to get accustomed to these extreme temperatures.

Campsite @ Litham

All the way from meadows to snow it was one hell of an adventure. I did miss home and family since there was no network to connect with anyone down there from these majestic mountains, but there was not a single moment that made me regret my decision to opt for this trek. The landscapes were never ending and unique every day. We had enough time to rest that evening. We played games had dinner. The food they served was good enough to be consumed in the mountains. They carried the whole kitchen and cooking equipment so whatever edible Dal and rice they made, felt yum. There also was a sweet dish which was served which most of us looked forward to.

We were then given gears and spikes for further trail in snow and there was a practice session to ascend and descend in snow that evening. Oh my god after hundreds of times of falling and getting up in snow while practicing we were sort of prepared. That was so much fun.

Day 4 - To Chandranahan Lake and back to Litham

I had no energy to go to Chandranahan lake and come back to Litham so I told I would stay back while they visited the lake, but these folks somehow convinced me and I agreed to go. 

The path towards Chandranahan completely snowy. No Land to be seen anywhere at all. The Pabbar river flows along with you as you make way to the valley. Although I was the last one to reach the lake. The view of the plain land of snow and the valley embraces you like you belong here. The lake was completely frozen, with a little stream of water flowing in the middle.

Chandranahan Lake


Returning from the lake

The return from Chandranahan was full of slides and sitting and standing . It was hilarious with wet pants and snowy falls. The pain was all vanished. 

Then there was a quick briefing for the next day which would be long and we would be reaching Dunda followed by dinner.

Day 5 : Towards Dunda

Happy trail

The trail to Dunda was a complete snow trail and was not as difficult as the previous day. It was long and easy. We clicked multiple pictures and we were well acclimatized to the temperature and the surroundings by now.

Campsite @Dunda








 

How much snow is too much snow !!!!

We reached Dunda in the evening with smiling faces and fatigue legs. Dunda was full of snow - left , right, centre. Here we had a short practice of ascend, descend and rappelling to prepare ourselves to rapell down the Buran pass next day

Rappelling practice session


The night skies were so full of twinkling stars and looked so beautiful you could stare at  them for hours.

We had to wake up early at 3 a.m next morning so had to sleep as early as possible. It was going to be the longest day. We had to trek from 3 a.m to 6 p.m. Cross the Buran Ghati and reach the River Camp.

Day 6 : Buran Pass day (Longest day)

I woke up at 3 a.m in shivering cold weather with 4 layers of clothing. Drank some black tea which they prepared for us. 

Good morning from Dunda

Well I was mentally prepared for a long trek day but wasn't sure physically after the Chandranahan Lake experience .I had decided I would not give up and complete it slowly and steadily. We began in the wee hours of morning and never stopped.

There the one at the extreme beginning with the Bikat crew is me

The crew member was of GREAT support to me and was with me throughout the trail. It was a criss cross trail and he was constantly with me and my fellow folks who faced difficulties as he was leading the trail and  I was right after him and this time I was the first few members to reach the pass :)

It was a big sigh of relief after reaching the pass @ 15000ft. 

Buran Pass @15000ft


After this we had to rappell down on the other side of the pass. It was steep. The Buran wall is straight down. It was natures own roller coaster ride.

Rapelling

Rappelling was fun and scary. I got my shoes stuck multiple times in the snowy mountain.

We reached down on the other side of the pass to this beauty.

I could sit here and stare at them for hours. These ranges were as if they were talking to each other and laughing and giggling at us as we fell down in the snow after every four steps :D

Once we all had rappelled down successfully and gathered. We were happy and celebrated and clicked loads of pictures. Well that is not all there is one hour of snow even after crossing the pass. This was our favorite part of the trek. 

It was our leisure time in snow 😊

Post rapelling

 Now all we had to do was DESCEND and SLIDE and DESCEND and SLIDE. 

The slides in snow were a total adventure I would love to experience them again. It was natures own slide for adults.


 

The first time I received network coverage after 4 days. I made a video call to mom showing her the beautiful place I was in. Talking to a loved one gives a different energy and now although going down the mountains was a skill but after speaking to family down there at home I was happy and completed the long descend with knee deep snow slowly, steadily, sliding, walking, jogging and reached River Camp.

River Camp

Day 7 : After River Camp the next day content and satisfied we headed towards Barua. On our way to Barua we saw many local villagers and the pahadi kids with complete red cheeks. Oh! I adore them so much. The villagers were sweet and simple.

We had some pahadi Maggi at a local's home and boarded the bus to Shimla with crazy and happy memories.

Day 8 : We enjoyed the lovely cold weather at Shimla and left for Delhi and then to Bombay with lovely pahadi memories for a lifetime.


I hope you enjoyed reading this. I had great adventure and experience for a lifetime. :)

 

 

Links to other blogs :

Jaipur

Udaipur 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Lanka

Visit to Udaipur